CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Comments/suggestions about the blog, or have something you want me to post. Great!

Email me at focusedonthepositive@gmail.com

Friday, February 8, 2013

Bearing our afflictions with faith

Well hi there!  It's been a long time since I've written anything.  Did you miss me?  Ah, shucks, thanks.  I came down with a case of "life-is-hard-can't-do-anything-without-crying-itis".  Wasn't fun.  Not sure I'm over it, but you don't need to know the details.

Anyhoo.  What's been going on with you guys?  Any exciting news?  Please feel free to share your joys with us in the comment section.  I'd love to hear about the great things going on in your lives!

My thoughts lately have been turned to accepting trials.  Trials are a part of life.  I know this.  That statement makes sense to me.  Why then, when a trial is placed before us do we crawl into the fetal position and wonder "Why?"  Interesting question... Why do we ask "Why" during trials?   Perhaps out of fear that we cannot handle it, that it is too hard, that we will break instead of grow.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I have come to know that we can handle each trial that we face.  The scriptures tell us:

"And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which The Lord hath commanded, for I know that The Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commanded them." 1 Nephi 3:7

He does not give us challenges that we cannot conquer.  He has placed each trial in our lives for our benefit.  Yeah, it's contradictory, but it's true. If you look back on the things that were difficult, I think you will find that after it was over it had some reason, some benefit, for you or someone else.  And I do believe that there are some trials we will not understand until after this life.

That being said, if you want to truly understand why we go through trials, I think you have to ask yourself why we are here.  What is the purpose of this life?  

In my opinion we are here to be tested and tried, to learn and grow through our trials, so that one day we will be proven worthy to live again with our Heavenly Father.  If you want to be truly optimistic, then you could rejoice when a trial is given.  Knowing that you will become better for it.  If that thought is a little hard to grasp, here's another scripture to help:

"But that ye have patience, and bear with those afflictions, with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions."  Alma 34:41

That scripture has bought me peace recently.  I just have to keep making good choices, and continue on in faith, and one day I will receive rest from my afflictions.  I am grateful that God believes I am as strong as the challenges he gives me. I believe in God, and I believe he knows me.  He knows: what is best for me, what my potential is, what I can handle, and he knows the greater purpose.   We have many reasons to rejoice.  God loves us.  God is with us in our trials.  Each of our trials have a purpose.  And one day we will be able to live again with our Savior and Heavenly Father.

May you be blessed with strength in your struggles.  Please share your thoughts and perspectives.

2 comments:

Launna

My sister and I were discussing the same thing... we know we have deal with trials and that hiding from them never helps, it only prolongs the trial. You are right... looking back on the trials we have overcome that we were not sure we were capable of overcoming... strengthens us.

I have missed you Maria... it is good to see you back:)

Maria

Launna,I was hoping I hadn't lost you. You are exactly right. It does prolong them! Thanks for sharing :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!